Heathers Quote: “I prayed for the death of Heather Chandler many times and I felt bad every time I did it but I kept doing it anyway. Now I know you understood everything. Praise Jesus, Hallelujah.” – Heather Duke
These dark times call for dark movies, and ’80s comedies didn’t get any darker than “Heathers.” The Winona Ryder and Christian Slater box office flop found a way to laugh at teenage suicide, bulimia, date rape, homosexuality, religion, hypocrisy, cynicism, sex and murder in a way that made Big D blush.
Gene Lyons and Ash Duke join Shat The Movies to relive their high school years, forced emotional outpourings, and Shannen Doherty’s face on this episode commissioned by longtime listener Dan Fletcher and spooky podcaster Carmelita Valdez McKoy.
How did Stanley Kubrick impact “Heathers”? Was the pep rally scene inspiration for “Smells Like Teen Spirit”? Why did young Ash own a monocle? And most importantly: Is Heathers a truly groundbreaking film or just a cult classic. Find out in this week’s “Shat The Movies.”
Plot Summary: “Heathers” Veronica (Winona Ryder) is part of the most popular clique at her high school, but she disapproves of the other girls’ cruel behavior. When Veronica and her new boyfriend, J.D. (Christian Slater), confront clique leader Heather Chandler (Kim Walker) and accidentally poison her, they make it appear a suicide. Soon Veronica realizes that J.D. is intentionally killing students he does not like. She races to stop J.D. while also clashing with the clique’s new leader, Heather Duke (Shannen Doherty).
- Android: https://www.shatpod.com/android
- Apple/iTunes: https://www.shatpod.com/apple
Help Support the Podcast
- Contact Us: https://www.shatpod.com/contact
- Commission Movie: https://www.shatpod.com/support
- Support with Paypal: https://www.shatpod.com/paypal
- Support With Venmo: https://www.shatpod.com/venmo
- Shop Merchandise: https://www.shatpod.com/shop
- Theme Song – Die Hard by Guyz Nite: https://www.facebook.com/guyznite