Bloodsport Quote: “You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend.” – Chong Li
If you’ve ever wondered how Jean-Claude Van Damme became an international action star, there’s one ’80s movie you need to see: “Bloodsport.”
This episode, commissioned by listener Adam from Texas, calls on Gene Lyons’ deep martial arts expertise, Ash’s opinions on muscle men and Big D’s childhood dream of climbing with ninja claws.
Along the way, the Shat Crew also discusses the efficacy of fighting monkey style, the utility of eight-minute cinematic flashbacks, training vs. torture, how a referee fits into a full-contact tournament, journalistic integrity in the face of sexy splits, what the Army does when an officer goes AWOL and what the hell Forest Whitaker was doing in this movie.
Plot Summary: “Bloodsport” U.S. soldier Frank Dux (Jean-Claude Van Damme) has come to Hong Kong to be accepted into the Kumite, a highly secret and extremely violent martial-arts competition. While trying to gain access into the underground world of clandestine fighters, he also has to avoid military officers who consider him to be AWOL. After enduring a difficult training and beginning a romance with journalist Janice Kent (Leah Ayres), Frank is given the opportunity to fight. But can he survive?Subscribe Now
- Android: https://www.shatpod.com/android
- Apple/iTunes: https://www.shatpod.com/apple
- Contact Us: https://www.shatpod.com/contact
- Commission Movie: https://www.shatpod.com/support
- Support with Paypal: https://www.shatpod.com/paypal
- Support With Venmo: https://www.shatpod.com/venmo
- Shop Merchandise: https://www.shatpod.com/shop
- Theme Song - Die Hard by Guyz Nite: https://www.facebook.com/guyznite